Stir Fried Cucumber
200 g Cucumber
3 cloves Garlic (Finely chopped)
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp TikkoSS’s Secret Ingredient
25 ml Warm water
1. Wash cucumber skin thoroughly and cut cucumber into thin slices.
2. Heat wok with 2 tbsp of oil. Fry garlic until golden brown and fragrant.
3. Fry cucumber until soft and add warm water.
4. Add oyster sauce, salt and TikkoSS’s secret ingredient. Simmer over small fire for 15 minutes.
5. Ready to be served.
Stewed Pork Ribs
300 g Pork ribs
4 cloves Garlic
1½ tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tbsp Light soy sauce
1 tsp TikkoSS’s Secret Ingredient
1. Wash pork ribs thoroughly and set aside.
2. Cut tomato into 8 small pieces and finely chopped garlic.
3. Marinate pork ribs with Ingredients A, tomato and garlic for 1 hour.
4. Steam pork ribs for 30 minutes.
5. Ready to be served.
Fart is a situation when your body expels intestinal gas via the anus. Farting in public is generally considered as rude but this is a normal reflect. Not every fart can be controlled, right?. You might get away with the silent one but be prepared for excuses when you sense the exploding one coming.
The best trick is, you start pinching your nose, wave your hand as if you are about to suffocate or maybe start to questions the people beside you if they did scent an awful smell. Statistic shows that you have 80% chances of getting away. The other 20% is when you are in a lift with only 2 people.
However, statistic also shows 99% of success rate if you fart noisily in loud and noisy area such as places with loud music and get away with it. WHAT is the other 1% then? Here is the story..
Bob suffers from post food poisoning symptom where he needs to pass smelly gas frequently. Knowing the statistic above, he always looks for a noisy place to release the ‘air’.
One day, while he was eating in a very loud environment, he wanted to do it again. Realizing that the surrounding was filled with loud musics, he gave a combo shot that lasted about 5 mins. You can see the release in his face but everyone beside him starts to stare at him with annoying face.
He was wondering how other people knew since he cannot even hear his own fart. Few minutes later, he realized he was on headset.
Lesson Learnt: Don’t always think you can get away with evil thought. Sooner or later, it will hunt you down
Dry Wan Tan Mee with Stewed Chicken Feet & Mushrooms
Stewed Chicken Feet & Mushrooms (Obtained from Stewed Phoenix Claws recipe)
1 ball Wan tan mee
10 g Siow Pai Chai
Ingredient A (All well mixed on a plate)
1½ tbsp Light soy sauce
½ tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tbsp Dark soy sauce
½ tbsp Sesame oil
½ tbsp TikkoSS’s Secret Ingredient
5 tbsp Warm water
2 dash White ground pepper
Green chillies with vinegar (Optional)
1. Boil 2L of water and set another 2L of cold water aside
2. Loosen the ball of wan tan mee and cook it in the boiling water for 5 mins
3. Transfer the wan tan mee into cold water for 3 mins before cooking it again in boiling water
4. Cook Siow Pai Chai in boiling water and remove it together with wan tan mee from boiling water after 8 mins. Mix with ingredient A. (Notes: Duration of cooking wan tan mee depends on the tenderness of noodle desired for)
5. Ready to be served with stewed chicken feet & mushrooms on a side together with Siow Pai Chai and wan tan mee
While doing her gardening, Anne noticed her neighbor Bob is digging a hole at the back yard. Bob is just another weird person in the neighborhood. So, nobody really pay much attention to him. He is single and living with his gold fish, Bill.
You can guess how odd Bob can be when he starts naming his fish. Not only that, he tend to be over engage with Bill that sometimes, he can speaks to Bill for hours.
After her gardening, Anne peeps again at Bob and he is still digging. Bob looks very sad which prompt Anne to ask, “Hi Bob, is everything alright? You look upset.” Bob lifelessly replied, “My gold fish, Bill died earlier today. I am trying to build a grave for him.”
Hearing this, Anne start to wonder why Bob need such a big hole to bury his gold fish. So, she curiously asked, “Why you need such a big hole to bury, Bill? He is just a goldfish? Ohh by the way, did you see my cat?
Bob replied, “Bill dies because he was eaten by a cat, so I need a bigger hole to bury Bill.”
Lesson Learnt: Sometime, weird people can be dangerous because they are unpredictable. Be careful when you come across one.
Genius is someone who has IQ more than 180 and up or as many called it profoundly gifted. Not many people in this world can be labeled as genius and so far, I know Albert Einstein and Leonardo Da Vinci are the famous few.
With gifted ability, Bob seems like manage to figure everything out. Life become dull to him as he has nothing to look forward and no problem is challenging enough to excite him. He started to become arrogant and continue to ace every exam that possibly human can think of.
If the exam takes 2 hours, he only takes 10 minutes to complete with perfect score. Knowing this, a teacher suggests Bob to take an exam called Time Management. If he aced it this time, he will be exempted for any kind of test in future.
Bob is very excited. Not because he knows he can do well again but he loves the challenging sensation and the take of not needing to undergo the boring exam ever again. So, he agrees to sit in for the exam.
Like usual Bob get all the answers correct but he still flung the exam. He was really surprise and approaches the teacher curiously. The teacher commended that he is the first student who get all the answer correct but the test is not just about getting the answer right.
The teacher explained, “Bob, you fail because your handwriting turns from good to bad in the exam.” Bob surprise questioned, “But, you can still read it. That is why I got all the exam answer right!”
The teacher patiently responded, “Bob, you still didn’t get it don’t you? This test is all about time management. The gradual changes in handwriting from good to bad are the best evidence of poor time management.”
Lesson learnt: Not a single person in this world is perfect. Be thankful for what you have but always continue to learn new things to keep your brain active.
Yuyuan Garden is a famous classical garden in Shanghai. Although the existence of this garden is about 400 years now and undergoes multiple reconstructions, this place still remains as a famous tourist spot in Shanghai.
Sometime I felt amaze on the architecture of ancient times. It seems like they really spend a lot of time building, reconstructing, refurbishing and try to preserve the crisp of the culture. Technically, we should embrace our history but the remains turn out to be so good for photography.
Maybe I sound a bit melodramatic but as a newbie in the world of camera, ancient buildings turn me on. This is just one of the many buildings in this garden. If you have good stamina, you can walk the 20 000 square meters park, within a day. I am fit (or I wanted to believe that), so, no problem for me.
There are 6 main scenic areas that you must visit: Sansui Hall, Wanhua Chamber, Dianchun Hall, Huijing Hall, Yuhua Hall and Inner Garden. I went there twice and I don’t think I ever visited those places or maybe I did but forget the names.
To me, the main attraction is not those scenic spots. I have discovered Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant, the most famous and authentic siu long pau. Now, I also discovered the best dumplings in Shanghai called Ning Bo Dumplings (don’t know where they get the name from).
This restaurant is usually congested and probably you need to spend some time queuing to get seated and queuing to order and pay the bills. Maybe this place is the most affordable as compare to others? To me, crowded means good.. hehe..
As you might notice, they do serve big pau and some other dim sum too but the highlight is definitely the rice ball dumplings. Instead of ordering one, the long queue makes me order additional bowl. The sesame and crab roe dumplings.
In Singapore Chinatown, you can get this with almond or just plain sugar water soup. Over here, they only serve with plain water as the soup. In that case, the soup is like drinking hot water. On the other hand, the dumplings taste very nice and the texture is just perfect.
Two bowls are definitely not enough for me especially on good food. As soon as you walk out from the restaurant, you will notice that they also sell take away dumplings. I did not get it but I think it is a good deal. According to the lady, it can last about 3 weeks without fridge.
I am not leaving that place empty handed. I bought myself herbal bean curds with pigeon eggs. No, it is not stinky bean curd. This also taste good except a little spicy. Gosh, you should try to drink the soup too. Now, my floor is wet coz I can’t stop drooling when I write about this.
Ning Bo Dumplings
Yuyuan Garden, Shanghai
In conjunction with Dragon Year, I feel a bit uncomfortable if did not blog anything about this celestial or maybe mystical creature but I am not an animal lover as well. The only two creatures that I keep as pets are house rodentS and cockroachES in my store room.
If you know me well, I will travel thousand miles to relate myself with this creature. Well, not a suicidal mission but to see if I can get hold of the Dragon Ball. I attempted to locate dragon ball on top of the roof in imperial hall (Forbidden City) but I only found ball instead with no dragon?
This time I am quite lucky in Yuyuan Garden, Shanghai. Ohh I didn’t say I found the dragon ball but I reunite with favorite small dragon pau (小龙包). No balls, pau also ok laa..Eh this task is not so easy to achieve, k? You have to literally queue up almost an hour to get seated.
Then you have to make the toughest decision to choose between the cheaper or the expensive sections under the roof. The difference is, the expensive one has more variety to choose from and obviously queue is longer on the other side.
Their history go all the way back to 1900 when Nanxiang is called Changxinglou (Giraffe? ) but the restaurant is no antique. The ambience is well lighted with electric light and not candles, with aircond and not paper fan.
Ohh and the menu did not make from bamboo. It is printed on colorful menu with pictorial dishes photos. IF you are Chinese and don’t read Chinese, you can still order as the menu is in English BUT you will be labeled as banana in TikkoSS’s terms. Hehe..
Most of the food will be served in within few minutes. Some fried dim sum will take slightly longer. The service is quite efficient except sometimes, they speak no so fluent English but hey, you are in China. IT is good enough if they serve you what you want..
I ordered big siu long pau … er.. I think as I just pointed at the menu. Oh yea, I don’t read Chinese too! Hehe. Nothing to be embarrass about right? I still get some delicious dim sum which I don’t know what its name and also another deep fried balls which I also don’t know the name
Even with limited ability to communicate, I still manage to order the highlight of this restaurant, the siu long pau. As much as I always thought there is only one type of siu long pau but they actually serve variety of it and some with crab roe too.
Although I pay RMB 143 (~RM74), I get to try the most original and authentic siu long pau from Shanghai. No regrets tho. I get food and I get to write post about something related to dragon in Dragon Year. Hahahaa…
Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant
Inside Yuyuan Garden, Shanghai.
Cricket is a bat and ball game. Not the Batman bat but it is club bat bat. Cricket can be traced back to Tudor times in early 16th century England. Oh yea it has a very long history, long before you and me.
The game is widely play in England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa and many parts of the world. People talk about it like people talk about football.
Sometimes, people challenge each on cricket game to show the sign of sportsmanship, teamwork and checking who the best is!
When comes to check who the best is, Chinese always want to be part of the major society. So, they crashed into world community and wanting to challenge on cricket. They thought they are the best and have been playing with it since ancient Chinese dynasty era.
On the duel day, everyone come with their gears, bats, uniforms and ready to roll except Chinese. You wouldn’t believe that Chinese did not come with their sport gears but they bring a tumbler instead. Everyone is puzzled and the ambience turned into pin drop silence.
While everyone thought they are referring cricket as bat and ball game, Chinese thought it is a cricket (insects that produce chirping sound) fight..
Lesson Learnt: Get your facts right before challenging anyone!
Maid is a female employed domestic service. Duh.. who don’t know about this, right? But have you ever wonder why only female and not male? I’m not trying to be sexist here but really, have you ever wonder why? They look kind of cute in maid costume as well, don’t you think?
Ok, forget about cross dress because that is not the answer. OK, there are indeed male maid as well but it is called valet, man servant, housekeeper or houseman. LOL. I know you will say I am tricking you in English but hey, I am trying to improve your vocab here.
In a decade time, you no longer called maid as maid or valet as valet. At that time, people will only know about iRobot or some automated cleaners to do most of the house chores. I know many will ask, is this the latest invention of Apple? I have iPhone and iPad here.. but.. the answer is NO.
Please don’t relate every single word that started with “i” to Apple. iRobot here is a vacuum cleaning robot and not some mobile device. It cannot do Facetime or iMessage or any Apps functionality BUT you can use the remote to control it OR Virtual Wall Lighthouse to restrict the movement.
Like nothing uncommon, there are also a lot of Chinese imitated products which claimed to be the same like Roomba but I can roughly pointed out some differences. You can set multiple timers on various days in a week, it is self adjusting between floor types and got 3 stages cleaning system.
With the combination between spinning side brush, counter rotating brushes and powerful vacuum, Roomba can easily clean your whole house even on unreachable places such as under the sofa and bed. Don’t worry if it will fall on stairs because it is equipped with cliff detection sensors.
When you are tired, you do know where to find your bolster and bed. Roomba will also find its own docking station when the battery is exhausted. It is like, once you put it on, you can forget about it. Eh.. that is not really true to certain extend.
You might need to clean the dust trap, filters and brushes once in awhile. Maybe once every two weeks? This robot cost about RM 2400 when I first bought it two years ago. If you do your math right, that is almost two months of human maid.
Sometime human maid gives you human problems but with iRobot Roomba, you are problem free!
iRobot – Roomba